Moving can be quite a stressful time in your life, especially financially. The last thing that you need is to have to worry about how much it will cost to move your things, especially if you are moving cities or even states. Here are 5 tips for moving on a budget:
- Move yourself instead of using a professional service. This includes boxing and packing all of your personal items and furniture by yourself; using a professional service to box and package all your stuff is a pricey way to go. If you can, get a rental truck and a couple friends or family members, and move things that way. It will save you a lot of money and you can be sure your things will be moved and taken care of the way you want.
- Instead of buying boxes from a moving supply store, get free ones from the grocery stores in your area. Since you are anticipating the move already, it is well-known you will need boxes and other supplies. When at the grocery store, ask if they have any extra boxes you can take, and many times if you wake up early, you can go to the back of the store and the boxes will be available for you to take.
- Get rid of things you do not need. If you have more than enough things, like we all do, take moving as a chance to get rid of what you don’t really need. You can list things on websites for local pick-up; even sell your items to make extra money. Selling the things that are just collecting dust is a great way to help pay for any expense required in order to move, and also lessens the load.
- When cleaning your place that you are moving out of, buy all the supplies you need from the dollar store. Little expenses like cleaning supplies add up. Make use of the dollar store—they have everything you need from all-purpose cleaner, bathroom scrubs, floor cleaners, mops, brooms, and everything else you may need.
- If needing to establish new service in your new place, look around for specials and coupons. For example, if you need to begin new cable services, like TV and internet, ask your real estate agent. Making a list in order to obtain these new services will not only help you to save money, but also helps you to not forget anything or feel overwhelmed once in your new place.
Whether it is to the neighborhood down the street, a new city, or even a new state, you can be sure that your move is on a budget by following the 5 tips above.