Preparing your home for winter doesn’t have to seem like a daunting task every single year. It can be done with ease and you will be sure your home is winter-ready.
Keeping the cold air out is one thing we all worry about and make sure we do to keep our heating bill down as much as possible. Here are 7 steps you can take in order to prepare your home for winter:
- Clean the gutters. With the falling leaves vastly cluttering up the gutters, it is easy to get a stop in the gutter making it hard for snow and water to move off the roof. Make sure to clean your gutters before the snow arrives to be sure that you won’t have to do this while it is cold, icy, and snowing outside.
- Clean your furnace. Making sure to get all the built up sediment out of your furnace is a great way to keep up with the maintenance so that it lasts a long time, as well as avoiding any fire hazards. If you keep it clean, it also works more efficiently and can reduce your heating bill.
- Be sure that all windows and doors are sealed securely. Even a tiny crack in the window or door can bring in a lot of cold, unwanted air.
- Lighting is important. Because winter brings with it less sunlight hours, be sure to have extra lighting, especially for the outside.
- In colder climates, salt the walkway and driveway. Walking on a snowy and icy surface is unsafe, especially if your hands are full or you have children. Keeping the walkway salted helps to ease the stress and keeps it ice-free. Having shovels ready to go to keep your driveway clear, allows you to move your car without getting stuck.
- Trim overgrown trees—this could cause the ice and snow to quickly overload the tree and even break it. If the branches are over your house or near common walkways, it is a potential hazard.
- Put away any outdoor items that will not be used in the winter, including hoses, sprinklers, and BBQ grills.
We all want to be sure our house is safe and warm during the winter months.
Following the tips above ensures that you do what is needed in order to create that warm and cozy environment without having to stress, or pay extra, allowing you to focus on the holidays with friends and family!