There are ways to go “green” to help you save the planet and help you keep money in your pocket. This is especially important when you have more than one home. Following this list will help you in your home and vacation home.
- Set the thermostat three degrees lower in the winter months and three degrees higher in the summer months. It will save you on cooling and heating costs.
- Once the older bulbs burn out, install LED bulbs.
- Wash your laundry in cold water. This will save you 85% of the energy burned when doing laundry.
- Upgrade to energy efficient washers and dryers.
- Although this is an obvious one, take shorter showers to save water.
- If shorter showers are not an option, or you want to save even more money, then you can install a low flow showerhead.
- If you have a garden, get a rain catcher. Use rainwater to water your lawn and plants.
- Exercise is important to your health, but it can also save you money. Walk or ride a bike to work or to the store. It does wonders to your physical health and your mental health as well.
- Use commuting options if you live to far away from home. It will help save gas for you and the others that are going to the same area.
- It is important to keep electronics out of the trash. Many places will accept electronics for free and recycle them for you.
- Cleaning products can be expensive. There are other times that you can use in their place. For example, you can use white vinegar. It has natural bacteria killing properties.
This list may seem short, but there are so many other ways to go green. It will depend on the lifestyle you live. Look at your lifestyle to see different ways that you can change it to save money and the planet. For instance, if you drink a lot of soda out of cans, then save the cans and recycle them. It will not only keep the cans from the landfills, but also recoup some of the money spent on the soda.